Blessed are those whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on pilgrimage. Psalm 84:5

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Mommy's Middle of the Night Math

Start with One Sweet Baby waking up and vomiting all night long

Multiply 1 sick child times 8 others in the house  
Subtract 1 husband who never seems to catch stuff
Equals a good chance of 7 people throwing up this week
If Mommy gets it, multiply that number by, like, 20 because that's what it feels like if I am out of commission!
Collect and empty 8 trash cans-fill with clean bags ready for use....(yuck)
Add back in 3 still clean trash cans for the younger children who won't make it into them
Multiply those 3 times their three sets of sheets and blankets and pillows that got hit instead
Add to that number the giant pile of towels used to clean up and "catch" as needed
Add 8 sets of clothes for all
Subtract 2 school uniforms 2 won't need if home sick
Add at least 8 cool washcloths for foreheads
Equals an enormous amount of laundry to the already enormous mountain
add 2 hair scrunches for the girls long hair
Subtract some money from the account for "sick necessities" Daddy will pick up (saltines, gingerale)
Subtract quite a bit of sleep Mommy will miss this week
Almost subtract one laptop that I am typing on that the baby just missed throwing up on by about an inch!
Equals:  Mommy awake in the middle of the night crunching numbers and anticipating what the next week
might be like..until the Holy Spirit gently reminds her of this song:

"When I am weak...You make me strong"

and this verse:

"Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself" Matthew 6:34

and this one:

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men" 
Colossians 3:23 
(even 100 loads of laundry and cleaning up vomit, etc. even if I too am sick).

Moral of the story is: Mommy's Middle of the Night Math doesn't add up.
I only need to focus on the number 1!
One true God, in control of everything..giving me strength and peace and his love!!!!









4 comments:

  1. I hope that all of you guys get sick! I'm praying for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Love your math! It is so creative, true, tiring. I hope your sick baby got better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Matt 6:34! I came over from Far Above Rubies and really enjoyed your site...I'm your newest follower! It looks like you're an extremely busy woman--I'm amazed you find time to make the jewelry you do...it is beautiful! Keep up the good work! And I hope you don't get sick!

    ~Carla (jollyjansen.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. cute! the sickies sure have been making their rounds, haven't they?

    ~heidi~

    ReplyDelete