Blessed are those whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on pilgrimage. Psalm 84:5

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A Nibble about Nemo

"I can do it Dad!"
"No, you can't Nemo! You think you can do these things, but you JUST CAN'T"

Then, as Nemo continues to try to persaude his Dad that he can save all the fish about to get pulled up into the net, you can see it in Marlin's eyes. That moment. That moment when he realizes he just did it. AGAIN! It wasn't that long ago that he didn't encourage his son-when, in fact, he discouraged him. His doubt in Nemo's abilities is what pushed Nemo over the edge into defiance as he swam out and "touched the butt" (I know-it's boat-but in the movie, they say, "butt" and try as I might, I just can't be an adult and watch that part without laughing!). Now, at this critical moment he realizes he's just about to do it again...then...he goes for it!!! He let's Nemo try his idea-even though he's terrified of loosing him.

I had a Nemo moment yesterday with my thirteen year old son.

To really get it-you have to know Liam. You need to understand that his brain is filled with these ideas-some amazing-some not so much. But, either way it will take him 3 HOURS to explain his latest to you. I try.  I really try to keep focused. To listen attentively. To not start making grocery lists or singing the Barney song in my head when I'm supposed to be EXTREMELY interested in his latest idea. I usually fail. Somewhere, about 10 minutes in-he's lost me! Happens all the time.

Yesterday, our dog got loose. THAT is nothing new. THAT happens all the time too! I refuse to chase her, or let anyone else. SHE CAN NOT BE CAUGHT! She runs, and runs, and runs until she is good and ready (and good and disgustingly filthy) to come home-at which point she saunters up to the porch as if she was doing nothing wrong in the first place! So, when Liam tried to explain his latest plan to catch her-I was Marlin.

 "You just can't catch her Liam! You just can't! You can stop explaining your idea-it's just NOT going to work!" And on and on and on.

Well-he is not only smart-he's determined- and not easily deterred by my discouragement! So, out into the snow and cold he went. Long stick, string, duct tape, wire cage that covers our square foot garden and a hot dog. He built a trap. He laid waiting on the snowy filled deck. Silently waiting. The dog fell for it!!!!!!! She crept up to the bait and just as she started to devour the prize-SLAM! Cage comes down-dog caught!!!!!!

Wow. What could I say? I gave him a hug. Told him I was sorry for doubting him and silently prayed for another chance.

I got it! Tonight!

Tonight I was blessed with the task of making three blessing bracelets for three young girls whose Mommy died today. I wanted to make sure they would encourage them, bring them a measure of peace-of God's love-and-I wanted to be sure they would fit-but also that the girls could grow into them. I couldn't figure out what to do. Liam, like it was nothing for his brain, says, "Mom, just add another of these, here and do this there, and etc. etc. etc. " Yeah, it took awhile to explain-but I LISTENED! I paid attention. I said, "Great idea! I'm going to try it!" And-I did! And-it works!!!!

My little Nemo....growing up so fast!! One day-he might save a whole boat load of fish! But for now-I'm just thankful for moments when I can see how God has gifted him-and SO Thankful for this second chance to be sure he knows I am on his team! Cheering him on!!! Willing to take on 3 Sharks like the Jelly Man if I have to!

"We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully." Romans 12:6-8

No comments:

Post a Comment