Blessed are those whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on pilgrimage. Psalm 84:5

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

I Love Trash!

 Oh, I love trash!
Anything dirty or dingy or dusty
Anything ragged or rotten or rusty
Yes, I love trash!



I have recently come to realize that I have a lot in common with Oscar the Grouch!!
 

I have here a sneaker that's tattered and worn
It's all full of holes and the laces are torn
A gift from my mother the day I was born
I love it because it's trash 


While going through my attic, I filled 4 bags of "trash". Tattered and worn items that apparently seemed good enough to save at the time.
                                                        


Walking through my basement you might think I am trying to get on the show "Hoarders"
                                    

I have here some newspaper thirteen months old
I wrapped fish inside it; it's smelly and cold
But I wouldn't trade it for a big pot o' gold!
I love it because it's trash


In the back of my refrigerator something smells a lot like 13 month old fish wrapped in newspaper!
                                                
I've a clock that won't work
And an old telephone
A broken umbrella, a rusty trombone
And I am delighted to call them my own!
I love them because they're trash 



Why is it that when something breaks it is easier to throw it away if it has been sitting in a box in a closet for at least a 
year or two first???
                                                               
Anything dirty or dingy or dusty
Anything ragged or rotten or rusty
Yes, I love, I love, I love trash!

Yes, I am sorry to say that while cleaning and cleaning and cleaning (and hoping for Spring!) that I have to admit I must love trash! But..I also discovered what I love even more than saving trash....


THROWING IT AWAY!!!!  

I am on a purging marathon and am enjoying each and every filled up bag that is leaving my home never to return! Some are temporarily finding respite in my basement while we wait for a good yard sale day-but then-even if not sold-they are not allowed back in!!!!! As I toss a full bag over the railing into the bin I feel a bit lighter...a bit free-er...a bit, well, a little bit less "trashy". 

Sorry Oscar...there's only so much I want to have in common with a green, dirty, grouchy monster!!!
 Have you started your spring cleaning???
sung by Oscar the Grouch (Carroll Spinney)
Written by Jeff Moss
1970 Festival Attractions, Inc. (ASCAP)
 

1 comment:

  1. I love this post!!!! I think it's a sign to keep moving on... LOL... I too am on a spring cleaning... purge... chunk it.. roll!!!! so ready to get rid of EXCESS STUFF.... that has not seen the light of day in years ... hasn't been used in ????? Seriously!!!!! someone else can receive the benefits of this STUFF... if there is any benefit.. :) Thanks for the encouraging words!!!! Terri

    ReplyDelete