Today was our first day back at school and home school. It absolutely amazed me how many things I forgot (read: denied) over the summer and then am in shock of on the first day!
(as I most likely was last year, and the year before that...and that...and that!)
Here's my top ten:
10. I am lazy. I really, really like to sleep in until the baby wakes me up and I have to get out of bed. I am not a morning person and I forgot that getting up and moving early would not be a simple thing for me to do.
9. I forgot that: not enough caffeine and I will be too sluggish to keep up with the four at home! "Mom...I have a question!" "Mom, can you come in here I need help!" "Mommy sit with me, play with me, read to me!" In between trying to clean up, get the next subjects ready, cooking, etc. etc.
8. I forgot that: too much caffeine will give me energy but will also make me jittery and a bit edgy towards 4 children all needing frequent help at the same time! Gotta find the right balance!
7. Eating breakfast is a good idea.I guess I forgot. Zoom! Before I knew it, it was 10:30 and the only thing I had consumed was the caffeine! Definitely not helping me find that balance on an empty stomach!
6. Toddlers can make the biggest mess in record time when we are all busy schooling. Ok, so I didn't really forget how fast she can make a mess-but I was overly surprised by it when I walked from the school room into the others!
5. I forgot that I need a plan for the toddler. She needs attention too-and if I don't actually schedule it in, she'll cry WAY too often, have several tantrums at key learning points, climb all over me to try to get me to pay attention to her, and make even more of a mess even faster than her record time!
4. Speaking of schedules...and turning the corner to a bit more positive things I forgot....I forgot that schedules really HELP me! They do not hinder my day-they keep us on track! The chores get done, subjects completed, meals prepared, and all this with no whining (from the kids either! lol) when we know what's expected and it is easy to follow.
3. Having a list of subjects to complete and assignments to do keeps us all productive. I forgot that when we are finished, play time would be so much nicer since they are excited to play instead of already bored with every thing they could possibly do!
2. Playing with younger siblings can sometimes seem like a chore. I forgot that during any given school day I can convince any one of the older children that playing with their baby sister is a great idea! They will play with her happily (in exchange for a little break) any time I request! No questions asked! No whining! No arguing..just happy, happy sibling time!
1. "Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfullness." Lamentations 3:22-23
I forgot how wonderful it is to get a brand new fresh start! God's mercies are new every morning...and that certainly includes the morning of a brand new school year! No matter what mistakes I made last year, no matter what shortcomings I think I have, and no matter what I FORGOT, it's a brand new and fresh start!
Don't do what I sometimes do and think, "What's the point, I've messed up so many times...I'll never be good at this.. I'll never get it right." Hang on to the promises of God! His mercies and compassions never fail and they are not just for your children-they are for you too!!!
It is a blessing and an honor to have 4 of my 5 children at home with me.
It is HARD WORK! That, I did not forget! But, it is worth it!
"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galations 6:9
Praying whether you started already, started today, or soon will...that you will not forget what matters most and that you'll have a blessed school year with your children-be them home or schooling out.
It's A Blessing!