Blessed are those whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on pilgrimage. Psalm 84:5

Sunday, October 16, 2011

I Don't Want to Do It!!!!

It's time. It's actually overdue.
I don't want to do it-but I know I have to.

I need to change my bio.



You might think (if you haven't had any big changes in your family-or your roles lately) what's the big deal?

But think about it. Really think about it. What do we say in our bios? We have a small amount of space to put what we consider to be the most important truths about ourselves. In this little paragraph we aspire to share with others a personal peek at the depths of innermost selves. We portray not only who we are, but also who we want to be, who we know we should be, and how we want others to see us. 

We classify ourselves as part of certain groups. Some list their qualities in order of most important to least. 
Others list their talents, accomplishments, or goals. We tend to add details that help others feel they are somehow connected to us....I'm a homeschooler...just like you. Or ....I'm a Christian...just like you. Or...I have a large family...just like you. Or.....I use all natural products and cloth diapers...just like you. 

These lists of things about ourselves is what often attracts others to read our blogs in the first place.
"Oh! She's a foster Mom? I think I want to do that, I'll read her blog and see what she has to say."
or maybe,
"She's been homeschooling for 16 years! Wow! I bet she has some great ideas to share that will help me!"

And so on and so on.

It's time. I don't want to change my bio but I have to.
I don't want to lose the identities I gave myself when I started this blog. It seems like admitting defeat or "un-joining" some unspoken club. 

I'm not quite sure how to "put my best foot forward" 
when I feel like both feet are in pretty sad shape right now. 

So-I'm just going to do what I often do. I'm going to put the truth out there.
I'm going to say it like it is, for better or for worse. 
I am sure my bio will not be as exciting or as impressive. It might be quite lame and boring-but-club or no club-it will be who I am and where God has me at this point in my journey with him. 

And one thing is certain...though the words may change and the focuses altered I will for a long time to come still have the same bio picture so the world can pretend (along with me) that I still look as stunning as I see myself that day in Hawaii over 7 years ago!!!!!!
Meet the "new me" in my bio shortly.


1 comment: